--- Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't think that is the point.  I think that true
> moral relativism, which
> you don't seem to expouse, argues that its
> impossible to get at objective
> right and wrong, even after carefully considering
> the issues.  For example,
> all one can say is that, within a given system (be
> it personal or
> community) X is right, and Y is wrong.  You can see
> that used to justify
> totalitarianism because the idea of human rights is
> just part of Western
> Culture, and only exists for us.  Other people have
> different, equally
> valid viewpoints.  Gautam can correct me, but I
> think this is what he
> refers to as moral laziness.

That's mostly it, Dan.  A large part of what I was
saying, though, was that it seems to me that many
people (and I'm not referencing David in particular,
this is a more general statement) use "It's not all
black and white" or "different cultures have different
standards" and so on as a _substitute_ for the effort
involved in actually making moral judgments.  That's
what I mean by moral laziness.  Instead of the energy
and effort involved in moral judgment, these truisms
are too often used instead.

This isn't an idle debating topic.  One of the major
arguments of opponents of the Iraq War was nothing
more nor less than that Arabs had their own culture,
with its own moral standards - so we couldn't make
judgments about Saddam's government and didn't have
the right to take action against it.  It's not all
black and white - we're not perfect, Saddam's not
perfect, so how do we justify going after him?  That's
the sort of argument to which I was referring.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"