From: Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 02:40:57AM -0500, Bryon Daly wrote:

> It seems that you are almost arguing that the demonization of liberals
> by some conservatives somehow justifies treating conservatives on this
> list poorly or making them feel unwelcome.  I disagree with this and
> would prefer the people of the list to feel open to expressing their
> points of view, regardless of their popularity.*

I don't think Rob was arguing that. Regardless, the irony in applying

I was actually addressing Tom's reply to Rob.

your defense to JDG's specific case here is that JDG is proposing to
force a viewpoint on the entire country that will make millions of
people feel "unwelcome". I did read your footnote, but it seems to me
you are applying a biased standard here -- you are much more tolerant of
some people making others feel "unwelcome" than you are of other groups
feeling "unwelcome". So, JDG can ramble on about how the rights of gay
people should be restricted, but if someone dares to write something
that makes JDG feel "unwelcome" to express that view here, well shame on
them!

When writing what I did, I had a broader view in mind of conservatives here in
general (or anyone else with unpopular views here) rather than with JDG specifically
in mind.

Perhaps it is a biased standard, but I see it a bit differently. First let me clarify that
I'm not arguing that JDG's (or anyone else's) arguments should not be criticized or
addressed vehemently if desired/necessary, but rather that I'm generally against rude
or insulting posts intended to get a person to shut up or unsubscribe to the list. (The
latter is what I thought Tom was possibly advocating, though reading subsequent posts
by him, I think that wasn't really his point). I suppose you see the latter as tit-for-tat, goose/gander, etc. My own take is that in a good debate, if I listen to and better
understand the opposition's arguments, it will help me to better address/counter them,
as well as test the mettle of my own arguments. This all hearkens back to your discussion
with Julia over confrontation style, I suppose.

-bryon