> Robert Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > From: "Gautam Mukunda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > --- "Robert J. Chassell" wrote:

> > > Does anyone know more about this?  If true, this
> > > means that terrorists
> > > in Iraq have or had relatively easy access to
> > > materials for building a
> > > `radiological' or `dirty' bomb.

> > Everyone willing to spend a few million bucks
> buying _smoke detectors_ has the capacity to build a
> >dirty bomb - it is, worryingly, not all that hard.

> What exactly do you mean about it being easy?
> The amount of Americium in a smoke detector is quite
> small. (Though
> there was more in older detectors.) And acquiring
> enough to make a
> "practical" dirty bomb would require an ungodly
> number of manual labor man hours.

Why bother with smoke detectors when there's plenty of
missing concentrated radioactive material around the
world?  I think the former USSR is the worst WRT this,
but as Rob pointed out, medical sources are a
relatively unrecognized source, and are quite poorly
guarded in general.  There's even missing fuel rods
here in the USA [entire article pasted]:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=718&e=7&u=/ap/20040422/ap_on_re_us/nuclear_fuel_missing

>>Vt. Nuclear Plant Looks for Missing Parts
Thu Apr 22,12:43 PM ET
By WILSON RING, Associated Press Writer

MONTPELIER, Vt. - Engineers at a Vermont nuclear plant
searched Thursday for two missing pieces of a highly
radioactive fuel rod while experts acknowledged they
may never be found.

The operators of the Vermont Yankee nuclear power
plant reported the missing pieces Wednesday, saying
they were not where they were supposed to be in the
large pool used to store fuel rods.  One of the
missing pieces is about the size of a pencil. The
other is about as thick but is 17 inches long.

The spent fuel rods are highly radioactive and would
be fatal to anyone who came in contact with them
without being properly shielded, Nuclear Regulatory
Commission spokesman Neil Sheehan said. Spent nuclear
fuel could be used by terrorists to construct
so-called dirty bombs that would spread deadly
radiation with conventional explosives.

"We do not think there is a threat to the public at
this point. The great probability is this material is
still somewhere in the pool," Sheehan said. The pieces
could also have been sent years ago to a testing
laboratory or a low-level nuclear waste disposal
facility.

The pieces were part of a fuel rod that was removed in
1979 from the Vermont Yankee reactor, which is
currently shut down for refueling and maintenance.

The pool where used fuel rods are stored is 40 feet
deep and contains 2,789 fuel assemblies.  The
pencil-thin fuel rods are 12 feet long and filled with
uranium pellets. Sheehan said that the missing pieces
might have been cut from longer rods for testing or
could have broken when they were removed from the fuel
assemblies.

The search for the missing pieces was going to include
the use of a remote controlled camera in the pool as
well as review of the documents dating back decades
that cover shipments and movements of radioactive
material.  Sheehan cited the heightened awareness of
the need to control nuclear material that followed the
Sept. 11 terror attacks. "We don't want this falling
into the wrong hands," he said. "This is something we
would never take lightly."

Gov. James Douglas, after speaking Wednesday afternoon
with the head of the NRC, said he was "very concerned"
about the missing fuel at the plant, run by Entergy
Nuclear.  "This situation is intolerable," he said.

In 2002 a Connecticut nuclear plant was fined $288,000
after a similar loss. That fuel was never accounted
for.

Vermont Yankee is located in the southeastern town of
Vernon, on the state lines with Massachusetts and New
Hampshire.  The state's Public Safety Department and
Homeland Security Unit also were notified of the
missing fuel.<<

Debbi
who probably ought to ask somebody to show her how to
make those shorter-link thingies, as others have been
chastised for such awkward URLs   }:-}