> la gineta style of riding, which influenced the horse
> cultures of the Gauchos, Charros and Llaneros."
>
> They spell it "gineta."  (I'd seen it as something
> more like "jineta.")

FYI this seems to be alluding to the Jinetes class of military fighting men
of Spain, of lower class and equipment than a knight and IIRC drawn from the
free peasantry or possibly holding fiefs as sergeants. They wore little to
no armor, and were adept at horsemanship in a way and style that was
different from knights and other mtd sergeants then in Europe (using short
sturrups and smaller saddles, rather than in other nations, where the trend
was towards longer stirrups and higher saddles, which were beneficial when
fighting on horseback).

> OK - and I'm coming at it from a horseman's
> perspective as well.  But then is this site incorrect,
> WRT the Battle of Hastings?

Numbers seem a little off, or rather, a little high. Willian probably had
half that number. Additionally, William's knights were less than decisive.
In a time when battles lasted a few hours at the most, Hastings apparently
(according to the sources) lasted most of the day, from about dawn to dusk.
William's cavalry had great difficulty against the English, who had arrayed
themselves on a ridge that IIRC straddled the Old Roman road from the coast.
So not only was Willaim charging up-hill, but he was additionally charging
into the shields and spears of the English.

The English fighting style of the day was a shieldwall...essentially
fighting men would array themselves much like a Greek phalanx with shields
nearly overlapping, presenting the enemy a wall bristling with spears. As
long as they kept the formation and remained steady (the front ranks were
often made up the best armored and steadiest of men, usually wealthy freemen
oweing fyrd service, or even the household troops -- Housecarls -- of the
nobles and the King) horses will not charge through such an impedement.
Additionally, the terrain was such that Willaim couldn't turn the flanks.

Some of the sources suggest that one branch of King Harold Godwinson's army
became emboldened at the latest failed charge of Willaims knights and tried
to pursue. They broke formation and were destroyed by the knights. This
breach allowed the knights then to roll up the flanks and (eventually) kill
Harold (though the sources differ on how he was killed).
> OTOH, this site says they carried under 300#:

Yes, I agree more with this. My sources (such as Prestwich, Contamine and
Nicolle) suggest the size and power of warhorses were more for the endurance
they could provide, rather than sheer lifting (or carrying) power.
Additionally (to dispell more myths) a fully armored fighting man in plate
armor was quite agile, and probably less burdened than a modern infantryman
wearing a full pack. Sources (not to mention modern reenactors) show that a
fully armored man could leap over the hindquarters of his mount and do other
feats.

Additionally, horse armor was rare in European armies until much later.
Although there is tantalizing mentions of mail bard for warhorses as early
as the late 12th C, horse armor didn't really appear to be popular (unless
you count the heraldric bard of earlier times -- trappers and such -- which
may have hid padded armor that was surprisingly effective against slashing
blows than one would think) until the 14th C, when leather and/or steel
armor was used to protect the head and chest of horses. It wasn't until a
century later that full plate bard would come to use, probably starting
early in the 15th C, but becoming more popular (relatively speaking) around
the middle to late 15th C.

Damon.