Top post: further illustrating the evils of of
replying before reading all posts (I'm referring to
myself here!)

> Damon Agretto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[I wrote]

> > "..la gineta style of riding, which influenced the
> horse cultures of the Gauchos, Charros and
Llaneros."

> > They spell it "gineta."  (I'd seen it as something
> > more like "jineta.")

> FYI this seems to be alluding to the Jinetes class
> of military fighting men
> of Spain, of lower class and equipment than a knight
> and IIRC drawn from the
> free peasantry or possibly holding fiefs as
> sergeants. They wore little to
> no armor, and were adept at horsemanship in a way
> and style that was
> different from knights and other mtd sergeants then
> in Europe (using short
> sturrups and smaller saddles, rather than in other
> nations, where the trend
> was towards longer stirrups and higher saddles,
> which were beneficial when fighting on horseback).

Ah, that ties in well with the Moorish riding style
influence/possible tribe name concept of my Arabian
horse books.

> > OK - and I'm coming at it from a horseman's
> > perspective as well.  But then is this site
> >incorrect, WRT the Battle of Hastings?

> Numbers seem a little off, or rather, a little high.
> Willian probably had
> half that number. Additionally, William's knights
> were less than decisive.
> In a time when battles lasted a few hours at the
> most, Hastings apparently
> (according to the sources) lasted most of the day,
> from about dawn to dusk.

I had wondered about the length of time for battles -
even lighter horses cannot charge about for hours
without becoming exhausted.  Watch the way polo ponies
heave after a single chukker.

<snipped interesting account of battle tactics>

> > OTOH, this site says they carried under 300#:

> Yes, I agree more with this. My sources (such as
> Prestwich, Contamine and
> Nicolle) suggest the size and power of warhorses
> were more for the endurance
> they could provide, rather than sheer lifting (or
> carrying) power.
> Additionally (to dispell more myths) a fully armored
> fighting man in plate
> armor was quite agile, and probably less burdened
> than a modern infantryman
> wearing a full pack. Sources (not to mention modern
> reenactors) show that a
> fully armored man could leap over the hindquarters
> of his mount and do other feats.
>
> Additionally, horse armor was rare in European
> armies until much later.
> Although there is tantalizing mentions of mail bard
> for warhorses as early
> as the late 12th C, horse armor didn't really appear
> to be popular (unless
> you count the heraldric bard of earlier times --
> trappers and such -- which
> may have hid padded armor that was surprisingly
> effective against slashing
> blows than one would think) until the 14th C, when
> leather and/or steel
> armor was used to protect the head and chest of
> horses. It wasn't until a
> century later that full plate bard would come to
> use, probably starting
> early in the 15th C, but becoming more popular
> (relatively speaking) around
> the middle to late 15th C.

I was surprised to read on one of the sites (from my
L3 post) that Romans and some Oriental tribes used
chainmail on their horses -- do you think this is
correct?

This site has some interesting articles on ancient
horse cultures:
http://users.hartwick.edu/iaes/horseback/intro.html

Debbi
Tycho And The Daisy Maru   ;)