One of the things I was thinking about in this discussion is that you are
focused on the original event and I am focused on the system.  Let me give
an example; the rape and mutilation of a young girl by, say, a 35 year old
man, is a horrid crime; but
it is not, necessarily, a reflection of the general society. It is highly
desirable for society to have systems that minimize this occurrence; but
the
only way to prevent it that we know of requires an overwhelming loss of
liberty.

The actions of this 35 year old man are definitely evil as well as
criminal.  Yet, we should not fault the government or society for his
actions, unless there were straightforward means of protecting this girl
that they ignored.  Such straightforward means need not include turning the
nation into a police state.

Now lets turn to a more problematic case.  Say this man is a police
officer.  If it was something he did privately, without using his police
uniform to gain trust, we might wonder if the police screened him properly,
but we would not think it the first step of a massive attack on young women
by an emerging police state.  If he did it in uniform, we'd be more
concerned about the supervision he had.  We'd look for patterns and context
before we made any condemnation of the police as a whole.

No matter how horrid this one person's actions were, institutional
responsibility is a function of more than just the nature of the act.  We
would not think it a first step in repression unless it was part of a
larger pattern. Even then, we would look at the nature of the pattern
before thinking that it was potentially the first step on the road to
genocide.

Lets look at a couple of those examples. The first is an example I cited:
people being pulled over for DWB.
On the surface it sounds simple; racist police department harassing blacks.

But, its not that simple; nor is the cure.  If it happened just in certain
lily white suburban communities; then that would be evidence that it is
just racism.  But, it happens in Houston, too; which is largely black and
largely Hispanic.  Back in the 60's, the thought was that things like this
would end when blacks were empowered.  But, over most of the last 20 years,
either the police chief has been black or the mayor has been black.  There
is also a significant fraction  of black and Hispanic police officers in
the department.  Further, their statistics for traffic stops appear to be
similar to those of white cops.

So, what is going on?  Part of the problem is that the rates for black
crime is higher than it is for white crime.  Police officers do pattern
recognition for traffic stops.  Its legal to stop a car that is violating
even a minor law.  But, most of the time, things like a license plate light
that is out, doesn't merit their time.  But, seeing something out of place
does merit suspicion.  So, from a law enforcement perspective; DWB has real
advantages.

But, from the point of view of the majority of law abiding black citizens,
it is horrid.  In this case, it was three upstanding young people: two
college students doing well at school and a newly hired school teacher.
While they were not treated especially rudely; they didn't want to be
pulled over just because of what they looked like.

I supported them in this.  Even though it might be a useful police tactic;
it is an unacceptable one.  Unfortunately; its hard to measure.  Houston is
trying with logs of the ethnic background and treatment of the people the
police pull over, but its a cumbersome system.

So, it is clearly not a top down mandated intimidation of blacks by a
racist city government and a racist police chief.  While I don't doubt that
there are racist police officers; the practice doesn't seem to follow the
patterns of a fraction of the officers treating blacks and Hispanics far
different from the others.

Addressing this problem is not a simple task.  It involves improved
training; giving useful alternate techniques; and a means to measure
compliance.

Next, let us look at the shooting of a young unarmed Hispanic boy.  It is
clearly not acceptable.  But, from the reports, it was not just  a racist
police officer gunning for Hispanics.

A number of young people are armed in Houston.  While gang warfare is down
from what it was 10-15 years ago; its still not pretty.  A police officer
does need to be careful on the streets; a kid just like the one who was
killed might pose a risk to him.

This doesn't excuse the actions of this officer.  His job is to use force
responsibly; and he made a fatal error in judgment.  The response of the
city was to have high ranked officers of the police go to the local
neighborhood and meet with citizens who were concerned.  They seemed
respectful as they listened.

Of course additional work is clearly needed.  The real solution would be a
better partnership between the police and those neighborhoods they are
supposed to be protecting.  And, these neighborhoods do need protection.  A
young black or Hispanic man is significantly more likely killed by another
person with a gun than a young white man.  The wrongful killing by police
officers is only a small fraction of this number (a percent  or 2).  Most
of the
time it is by another young man of the same ethnic background.

This doesn't mean that such a death rate is acceptable and shouldn't be
addressed.  Rather, it means that it doesn't represent a top down driven
systematic attempt by police to intimidate minorities.

>If enough hatred exists or is installed
> due to whatever intrinsic or external circumstance and enough people
> look away when such acts are carried out it just might become that
> nightmare you now abhor so much. It might turn into a firmly
> established reality.

That's a true statement, but it is not one that has to do with the reality
in Houston.  The overwhelming majority of killings of blacks do not fit the
classic hate crime MO. Now, there was an obvious hate crime in East Texas a
few years back: in Jared I think...but I could be mistaken.  A black man
was killed by being dragged behind a pick up truck (I think it was a truck
and not a car).

The whole town, black and white, was disgusted with the whole affair.
There were KKK demonstrating about something or other, but the TV blurbs
from the blacks and whites showed a pretty united front.  A good outcome of
this horrid action was that the town saw how much they really had in
common.

I'll end this post here to keep the focus on the difference in our
perspective.

Dan M.