Damon Agretto wrote:
The Electorial College is in place so that the
American People will be prevented from electing a
Hamster as president, and have the results validated,
something that happened at my University for Student
Body President. <snip>
Although the system can nerf election results
occasionally, I think its a good system with some very
good thought behind it.

But doesn't near universal literacy, mass-media and particularly television change all that?
It seems to me that, whether they use it wisely or not, all Americans now have the ability to make an informed decision about their leaders, which certainly wasn't the case 200 years ago.

Cheers
Russell C.