Dan,

I will have to think about your reply more for a fuller answer.  Right
now I am convinced we are in the early stages of admitting the
invasion was a tragic mistake and plunged us into an unwinable war.
The issue of how we treat prisoners should be resolved to restore the
good name of the United States while also protecting the U.S. from
real terrorists.

I will also have to reread the Time article.  You do know that Time
has a long history of presenting some foreign policy and intelligence
information in ways that the CIA and other conservative policy leaders
wanted out?  Time Magazine was tied to the CIA and a loosely organized
group that evolved into the neo-cons and had some of the closest
editorial connections. In the 70's it came out that hundreds of US
journalists were also on the payroll of the CIA.  The opinion of the
owners of much of the so called liberal media was expressed  by
Washington Post's owner Katharine Graham at CIA headquarters, "There
are some things the general public does not need to know and
shouldn't. I believe democracy flourishes when the government can take
legitimate steps to keep its secrets and when the press can decide
whether to print what it knows."  She didn't admit to not only
covering up but actively pushing a CIA story numerous times.

On the Democrats lack of organized widely supported alternative plans
- they have a much more complicated political job.

 Reeves editorial quoting Thomas Mann:

""Republicans have to defend a war that was very badly planned and is
costing much more in blood and treasure than the public was led to
believe. Democrats struggle to define and agree on alternative policy
that doesn't simply write off the sacrifices already made by our armed
forces and accept defeat."

"In other words, the die has been cast; we have crossed both the
Tigris and the Euphrates. But if history is our guide, it will take
six more years to declare peace with honor, one more time. As if most
of us, Iraqis aside, did not already know that this war is over. We
tried the impossible again, with the usual result -- and it will take
time to craft a noble rationale for what we have done to ourselves."

http://tinyurl.com/9ahgw
or
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=123&e=1&u=/ucrr/20050624/cm_ucrr/timetablesixmoreyearsiniraq

On 7/1/05, Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: a very
thoughtful reply.
--
Gary Denton
http://www.apollocon.org  June 24-26