And things are getting interesting.  Particularly for
someone whose two major team allegiances are to the
Red Sox and the Orioles!

There's this third team in the AL East that might
challenge for the playoffs too - they really worry me.
 But I think the Blue Jays are still too handicapped
by the need to pay players in US dollars :-)

In all seriousness - things are getting interesting.
So, in an attempt to kick off a discussion on a
_really_ important topic, I will make my midseason
picks for the playoffs and see what people think:

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: White Sox
AL West: Angels
AL Wild Card: Twins (sigh...)

NL East: Braves (yes, again!)
NL Central: St. Louis (this one's too easy)
NL West: Hmmm...this one I'm really not sure of.  San
Diego is so far ahead (and the other teams in the
division are so unimpressive) that I guess it has to
be them.
NL Wild Card: Washington

I note that all of these - with the exception of the
Braves - are the current division leaders.  Quick
explanations for why I think so, in reverse divisional
order:

NL West: 5.5 games is a lot, and no one else in that
division is very good.  LA, if De Podesta decides to
make a move.
NL Central: No need for an explanation here
NL East: Washington really isn't all that good -
they've just been astonishingly lucky.  They won't
keep it up.  The Braves will beat them out.  They are,
however, sufficiently far ahead in the WC standings
that I think they'll probably make it.

AL West: The Angels are too far ahead.  I have a
slight tie to Texas, which is a story worth sharing.
I was at the wedding of one of my best friends a year
ago, and his soon-to-be-wife (also a good friend) saw
me and said "Let me introduce you to my bridesmaids!"
As I issued a heartfelt thank you, I quickly realized
that she wasn't actually doing me a great kindness -
because all of them were married(!)...save one who
was, even better, dazzlingly pretty.  Except, as I
soon found out, she was engaged - to a pitcher on the
Rangers!  Several of my other friends also went
through the same chain of thinking.  We reached,
however, a consensus that none of us felt even a
little bit upset about this.  Like most American men,
we felt that professional baseball players were
definitely members of a higher league ;-)  She is,
however, a really nice person, and in her honor I will
root for the Rangers...except the Angels are just a
little too far ahead.  I am suspicious, however, of
any team that plays Erstad at 1B.
AL Central: I don't think the White Sox are anywhere
close to this good, but they're so far ahead it
doesn't matter.
AL East: Ah, now this is an interesting race.  The
Yankees are actually back in it, despite my little
joke in the opening (hi Bob!) :-)  They are, however,
really not a very good team.  Their hitting is
spectacularly good, but their pitching is only
mediocre, and their defense is beyond atrocious.
Moving Bernie out of CF helps that, but they have too
many defensive holes at other positions <cough>
shortstop </cough>.  The Orioles may actually have
even better hitting and have been devastated by
injuries - but they just don't have the pitching to
keep up (as we've seen in their recent slide), I
refuse to believe that Brian Roberts is _this_ good,
Sammy Sosa has clearly fallen off the map...and
besides, given the suffering I've gone through since
1997, I sure as hell am not getting my hopes up now.
Given the choices, the Red Sox seem clearly to be the
most complete team in the division, although they are
hardly without holes.  The Twins are enough better
than the O's, and play in a softer-enough division,
that I think they'll take the WC.

As for the playoffs...insert my standard disclaimer
about playoff games being essentially random events
here...the Cards are clearly the class of the NL.  In
the AL, ummm, probably Boston by default.  So a replay
of last year's WS is my pick (unlikely though that is
in practice)...and emotionally I want to say with the
same result.  In practice, though, I think it's a
tossup between two pretty similar teams, both with
excellent hitting and mediocre (at best) pitching.
Pujols is the best player on either team (by a lot) -
but once Schilling is back Red Sox pitching should be
slightly better.  So anybody can win this one - I'll
say the Red Sox just because they were _so_ superior
to the Cards last year and the Cards have not
improved, although the Sox clearly have fallen back.

Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"
http://www.mukunda.blogspot.com