On Aug 13, 2005, at 8:54 PM, Dan Minette wrote:

The real thing we can look at is the magnitude of dp and dx that we are
talking about. h-bar is, roughly, 10^-34 J-s or 10^-34 kg m^2/s. Let's assume we have a 100 kg spacecraft. That gives us, dv*dx = 10^-36 m*(m/s). For the indeterminacy in the position to be 1 km, then the velocity would
have to be restricted to within 10^-37 m/s.  Just thinking about the
quantum variation in all the electrons, we can eliminate this possibility.

Which is a nicely concise formulation of why, even in a state of "zero" velocity, the idea doesn't fly. I had a similar sense of objection but lacked the training to say what that objection was. What works for one subatomic particle just doesn't for an entire system of them. That's why we don't have castles suddenly appearing on the Moon.

--
Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
http://books.nightwares.com/