> From: Robert Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Warren Ockrassa wrote:
> > [adult swim] on Cartoon Network is a refuge in some ways. There are
> > some really interesting toons sent out on the Cartoon Network late
> > at
> > night -- great ones such as Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist and
> > the
> > Turner creations Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Venture Brothers.
> >
> As the chatroom gang can tell you, I am a devoted watcher of the
> Cartoon Network every saturday night, all night.<G>
> >
> > (Inuyasha … yawn.
>
> I really like Inuyasha. Yeah it is a tad soapy, but I enjoy the
> storytelling even when it is a bit thin. The opening and ending
themes
> are always exceptionally good pop though, and I have a great
> appreciation for the way the Japanese seemed to have learned how to
do
> Pop better than we do.

Because MTV & VH1 stopped showing videos?  And when they do show videos
it all rap-$#!+ all the time.

> >Soap opera. Samurai Champloo: Rocks tha' hizzouse.
> > Kurosawa goes toon.)
>
> Also soapy, but the action is awesome. I can't wait for Jin and
> Rap-Bastard to get into a fight again.<G>
>

> > But there are a couple of sterling anime examples they've been
> > retransmitting. FLCL, at just six 30-minute episodes, is arguably
> > the
> > strangest, but definitely the most creative. The storyline is more
> > or
> > less standard alien-invasion fare, but the series makes bold
> > experiments with the toon genre, breaking into "maga style" just
for
> > kicks, for instance, and the end titles are set to "Ride on
Shooting
> > Star", an interesting and energetic example of the punk genre as
> > interpreted by a Japanese mindset, capably rendered by The Pillows.
>
> I like the music, but everything else about this series sucks IMO.

Because you don't get the references?

> > Paranoia Agent is weird too with its story centering around a
> > rollerblading boy with a metal bat who begins by stunning people
who
> > are at the ends of their ropes -- and who becomes something much
> > more
> > sinister. The soundtrack for the series is scored by Susumu
> > Hirasawa,
> > and his musical explorations are fascinating. In the series
> > soundtrack, his main title sequence ("Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen")
> > is
> > unmistakable, but a later experiment, "Jouken Douji", is probably
> > the
> > gem of the disc.
>
> I haven't missed an episode. Very addicting and the plot twists are
> tasty.
>

> > This isn't just about music, of course; it's about how the melding
> > of
> > music with visuals seems to have affected anime in a way totally
> > different from how it's manifested in the States in the form of MTV
> > and its offspring. On the whole I think the Nipponese flavor is
much
> > more intriguing. I was just wondering if anyone else here was
> > watching … and listening … and had comments to make.
>
> I think my favorite is FullMetal Alchemist. The backstory is complex
> with interesting social implications and with every episode I want to

> chew chew chew. Great opening theme song, Japanese hard rock with
> progressive overtones. I searched it out and D/Led it.
>
> But have you been watching Justice League Unlimited, Zatch Bell, and
> One Piece?

How can you watch 4kids piece when it's been absolutely butchered, way
beyond even saban's old DragonBallZ Dub.  They CUT OUT 30 whole
dogda/V\ned episodes.  The Vileness that is 4kids piece is too much to
bear.