But without correlation, then it's hard to identify it as a major cause.
Let me put forward another candidate: honor/pride.  We know that there is a
strong, almost overwhelming by our standards, concept of honor in Arab
cultures, as well there is in Afghanistan and Pakistan.  Honor killings are
a strong example of this. The critical importance of blood ties and the
prevalence of revenge killings are other examples of this.

I'd argue that, for members of AQ, the decadent West dominating the world is
a crime against the natural order of things.  It is a tremendous insult to
their pride.  Even if they and/or their family have become wealthy by
trading with the West, the lack of honor is still galling.  It's not just
the military dominance of the US that is objectionable.  More than anything,
it is the cultural dominance.  The West, the US, and above all Israel (which
is secretly controlling the US....just look at the history books: the
Protocols of the Elders of Zion of you don't believe this....need to be put
in their proper place.  The only hope for their own honor, and the rightful
ordering of the world, is to fight these powers by all means necessary.
Thus, terrorism is acceptable.

I think it fits.  Also, pride also fits with the "elbow room" reason for war
given by the Germans.

Dan M.