At 09:00 PM Monday 4/17/2006, PAT MATHEWS wrote:

From: Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Subject: Re: three paradigm shifts?
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:54:34 -0500

At 08:14 PM Monday 4/17/2006, Deborah Harrell wrote:
> "Robert J. Chassell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
> In the relevant manner, how do domesticated animals
> differ from hunted
> animals?  (I know they differ; the question is how?)
>  Deborah Harrell, can you comment?
<snip>

Animals suitable to be domesticated must, in general,
have a native hierarchy, which humans can then utilize
to their own advantage.  In herbivores, this means a
socially bonded herd as opposed to a 'gathering of
convenience;' in carnivores, a relatively stable pack
or strong family structure is required.  Humans usurp
the alpha position of the herd leader(s) or
mother/father.

So how do you explain cats?

Meow Maru

We never domesticated them. They just took advantage of free food and shelter, in true predator style.

Some of you may remember this New York Times Science Times article from January. (Still available to registered members at <<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/06/science/06cats.htm>>.) Note the last sentence in this excerpt:

DNA Offers New Insight Concerning Cat Evolution

By NICHOLAS WADE
Published: January 6, 2006

Researchers have gained a major insight into the evolution of cats by showing how they migrated to new continents and developed new species as sea levels rose and fell.

[Photo of kitten exploring a clothes dryer]
Researchers have gained a major insight into the evolution of cats by showing how they migrated to new continents and developed new species as sea levels rose and fell.

About nine million years ago - two million years after the cat family first appeared in Asia - these successful predators invaded North America by crossing the Beringian land bridge connecting Siberia and Alaska, a team of geneticists writes in the journal Science today.

Later, several American cat lineages returned to Asia. With each migration, evolutionary forces morphed the pantherlike patriarch of all cats into a rainbow of species, from ocelots and lynxes to leopards, lions and the lineage that led to the most successful cat of all, even though it has mostly forsaken its predatory heritage: the cat that has induced people to pay for its board and lodging in return for frugal displays of affection.

Or, why doesn't your cat obey you?

Pat, human servant to Dufus

Maybe _yours_ objects to being called "Dufus" . . .

--Ronn!  :)

"Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
   -- Red Skelton

(Someone asked me to change my .sig quote back, so I did.)