[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 7/23/2006 7:17:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Do the  cells *really* have human DNA?   The wikipedia mentions  their
extraordinary reproductive properties - don't these  properties
necessitate some sort of change in the DNA?   After  all, if you took
cells from my Mom's cervix, they wouldn't keep propagating  in a
laboratory.   This possibility that they have non-human-DNA  is
perhaps particularly instructive if further proof is assembled  for
the theory that a virus is at the root of many  cancers.

HeLa cells came from a tumor of Helen Lane.

Actually, Henrietta Lacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Lacks

I read an article about this (repeatedly, probably a good dozen times) in my teens. :) I can't remember if I read that one to my grandmother or not, though. (My grandmother was a cancer researcher who went blind from glaucoma after she retired. I read all sorts of articles out of science magazines to her whenever we visited - I was actually very good at that for my age. The hardest thing is describing graphs.)

        Julia