OK, but this point was brought up in response to the weighing of the great
potential for disaster of global warming vs. known problems with malaria,
bad water, AIDs, etc.  In other words, if one is to argue that potential for
disaster is the yardstick...then asteroid hits should be one's primary
worry, while if one argues for known consequences...then the present world
problems should be considered before global warming.

>An asteroid hit will be far
> more devastating but there is no indication that one is imminent. Fix the
> thing you know is happening before you fix the thing you don't know  about

But, wouldn't that argue for first hitting problems that are now known to
cause far greater human suffering than global warming is projected to cause
in the next decade?  Particularly, since it would be far cheaper to address
these with the tools we now have and expect to have in the next 20 years
than global warming would be.

Finally, fighting global warming with the tools we now have available would
be far more expensive than an extremely vigorous campaign to eradicate
malaria, provide clean drinking water, drastically cut AIDs worldwide, and
provide an effective defense against rouge asteroids.  The former would
probably cost a trillion or so, and the latter should be doable for a couple
of hundred of billion.  Stopping global warming in, say, 25 years would cost
tens of billions.

Dan M.

Dan M.