> Gary Denton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'll just make a brief interjection that a new study
> suggests that
> Diamond got it wrong.  Easter Island forest
> deprivation was more
> likely caused by rats brought by the colonists, who
> also arrived much
> later then previously thought.

Diamond mentioned that the (native) giant palm tree
was likely destroyed by rats, as seeds had been found
with rat tooth marks destroying critical parts -

<snip>

http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/53200?fulltext=true&print=yes

> or
> http://tinyurl.com/ldwbm

TIA - I will read this next time I have a chunk of
library computer; now it's off for the next lesson.

Debbi
whose Cezanne is cantering (while ridden) on command,
and - more importantly! - slowing promptly on my
request   <big DEFANGED_ole DEFANGED_smile>