But their "next friend" can...and this has happened in both cases where a
citizen was declared an unlawful enemy combatant.  Both cases have been
reviewed by the courts.  The potential hole in habeas corpus, someone
rotting in prison has no chance to petition a court because he can't get to
a court has been thought of and dealt with decades ago.

The real problem is the 60+ year old precedent that's on the books.

> The new law means there's no review at all.

I don't think the intent of the law was to remove American citizens who were
declared illegal combatants from the US court system.  If it was, then the
Constitution clearly states that the courts are the ones who will decide if
the Congress has the constitutional right to bar them from intervening.  `

The precedent we have to decide this isn't as clear as I'd like, because
Bush folded his tent rather than let the Supreme Court rule against him.
But the fact that the court let Bush know that they'd be watching him
closely, combined with Bush withdrawing his case, indicates to me that its
pretty clear that declaring an American an IEC does not deprive him of his
rights.

So, the bottom line is that if the president uses the law, instead of his
power as Commander in Chief to declare a citizen an IEC, and then state that
the courts can't review this...then this will be reviewed by the
courts...just as his previous argument was.  Since the Supreme Court offered
guidance concerning the role of Congress in setting up military tribunal for
alien UEC...and provided different guidance concerning American citizens,
the lower courts should be able to work through this rather
straightforwardly.

>Can't you see how insidious this is?

No, because the American legal system doesn't work that way.  The real risk
is, as it was in 1942, that the Supreme Court will acquiesce.  There are two
cases where this happened in WWII, to the detriment of liberty, which we've
already considered here.

> ...and Congress has said that it will accept any person defined as a
> UEC as a UEC. Let's hope there's a big shift in Congress in a couple
> of weeks eh?

I'm definitely pulling for the Democrats to take the House and Senate.  They
are favored to take the House, and the Senate is up in the air.  Going out
on a limb, I'm predicting a 50/50 Senate, with Cheney breaking the tie, and
a 20 seat Democrat majority in the House.  I invite others to go out on the
limb with me and take a guess.

> > Let me ask a question about the UK legal system.  Let's say Parliament
> > passes a law that prohibits the criticism of the government during
> > a war,
> > and that the House of Lords approves it (IIRC, they can still
> > reject a bill
> > once by sending it back to the House of Commons, but I may be wrong
> > about
> > this.)
>

> The courts have greater powers of interpretation. While it's hard for
> an Act of Parliament to be struck down by the Law Lords, it can be
> rendered impotent by the courts through precedents.

OK, let's look at the restrictions on civil liberty that have been recently
passed in the UK.  Which have been rendered impotent?

> > In the US,
> > they could.  Further, they could, and often do, rely on precedence in
> > interpreting the constitution to do so.  That's the sort of subtle
> > interplay
> > that I didn't think was clear to non-Americans.
>
> It's perfectly clear. But that doesn't mean that new interpretations
> can't be made, and new laws generated.

Sure, both are possible. In the US, new law has precedence over
interpretations of old law, but inferior to old interpretations of the
Constitution.  By the book, judges are expected to use these precedents when
deciding cases. By the book, the Supreme Court's latest interpretation of
the Constitution is the highest law.

Given this, which we all seem to know, why do you think that the latest law,
which doesn't suspend habeas corpus for citizens, changes the legal rights
of the President from what they were in 2000?  The FDR precedent seems to be
far stronger and much more straightforwardly applied than this law.

Indeed, with respect to the Presidential power to declare citizens enemy
combatants, construct tribunals, and execute them on the decisions of these
tribunals, the actions of the last 5 years has slightly restricted Bush's
power from what the Supreme Court declared FDR's power to be.

Dan M.