At 09:31 AM Friday 4/13/2007, Julia Thompson wrote:
>Martin Lewis wrote:

> >> It's generally a good idea to spend some time *observing* how things are
> >> done in a particular place before barging in with habits learned
> elsewhere.
> >
> >  I think five years of reading Brin-L is long enough to get the idea,
> > to be honest. This isn't about differing netiquette but about what
> > communication actually consists of.
>
>Thanks for clarifying your intent!
>
>Ronn! does have the habit of posting bare stuff.  He has occasionally
>been my first source of information on things.  (If I had read brin-l
>that morning *before* anything else, it would have been, in that case.)

FWIW, if you look at the time stamp (and do any necessary conversions
for your own time zone) I posted that at 4:33 in the morning here
(Julia is in the same time zone) figuring that some folks (at least
here in the Western hemisphere time zones) might be like me and not
heard about it prior to that (having perhaps been asleep during the
previous several hours and having like many of us gotten up and
checked their e-mail before turning on the TV news or
whatever).  Sorry if it was old news to those in perhaps the European
contingent where by then it would have been mid-morning or later and
folks might have had time to digest the news and come up with
appropriate commentary while some of us were still trying to wake up :) . . .

>Then other people respond, or not.
>
>And then Ronn! posts a wonderfully snarky response to whatever.  I think
>his snark is well worth the wait, personally.  :)

Thank you.  (I choose to take that as a compliment. ;) )  It is also
a matter of in most cases having to read the "whatever" before
generating the appropriate snarky response to it, as all too often
these threads go off in directions no one could predict
beforehand.  If I think of a comment at the time I may make it (frex
perhaps had I been the first to post the dinosaur story I might have
included the reference to the pic from "Science Made Stupid" in that
initial post) but sometimes (as in this case) nothing initially
occurs to me except for the desire to share the information with
those I think might be interested in it and see where things go from
there.  Also as indicated above depending on the circumstances
sometimes the brain has to be brought up to speed before it generates
any useful comments . . .

Those Who Are Thinking That They Have Been Waiting For The Past Ten
Years Or So For My Brain To Come Up To Speed And Make Any Useful
Comments To The List Need Not Express That Opinion Maru

-- Ronn!  :)

"Sunrise is Nature's way of telling you it's bedtime."