On 5/9/07, jon louis mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So what about all of the packages — and people —
> that (in the words of the commercial)
> "absolutely, positively, have to be there by 9 AM"?
> -- Ronn!  :)
>
> for the present, those people have to be satisfied,
> but some day, in the not too distant furure, it will
> no longer be realistic to ship freight all over the
> world to meet deadlines,
> -- jlm

I think there's a place for high deadline freight/passenger travel...
but I think that so often in our culture we are forgetting that there
is just as much a place as "leisurely" travel, and that if there is no
reason for it to be there next day, why pay for "next day air".  Our
culture is quagmired in this "do it yesterday" hustle and bustle and
sometimes we forget to take our time to even enjoy our meals...

When I was working in food service (at an amusement park) I was amazed
at what I call the "eating pressure wave".  Generally people would
start to hurry up eating as the people around them started to leave
and would leave themselves soon afterward, particularly if they felt
the other people around them had been there before they sat down.
What this amounted to was very noticeable waves of people leaving at
around the same time regardless of when they arrived.  It never ceased
to amaze and inform me.  At a supposedly "leisure" establishment (an
amusement park) people never seemed to actually take the time to sit
and enjoy the food they bought and were often pressured by invisible
peer pressure to eat faster than strictly necessary...

I've come to the point where I'm starting to appreciate that sometimes
people need to just slow down.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/