you are absolutely right mauro, i didn't think it
through.  it is unfortunate that the higher the price
of petrol the higher the profit margin.  can you think
of some way to tax the oil profits without passing it
on to the poor, or put a cap on profits?  what if gas
were rationed and those poor who use little or none of
their ration could sell their credits at a high price
to the wealthy?  maybe other oil countries like
venezuela could reduce the price for the poor.
jlm

That would be an excessive burden on the poor.  It is
possible for a very
poor person to live without having any loans or credit

cards, with no
interest debt whatsoever.  But everyone uses energy to

heat and cool their
homes, even if only with a space heater and a window
fan.

And if the energy tax is levied only against industry,

industry would of
course pass it more or less directly on to the
consumer.  Wealthy and
middle-class consumers wouldn't much care because they

can afford the higher
prices, or they might care but would pay the higher
prices anyway -- look at
how gasoline consumption has not been hurt by
skyrocketing gas prices.  So
the people who don't have any economic cushion would
end up paying more for
the goods they buy.  That's a good formula for making
the poor even poorer.

That's why I'm also not a big fan of Dan Minette's
plan to raise gasoline
taxes by 50 cents per gallon every year for the next
10 years, unless there
was some offset in place for the working poor.  People

below certain income
levels can qualify for programs like food stamps --
maybe they can qualify
for a card that they could swipe at the pump that
would automatically
eliminate some of the taxes.  Then I might go for
Dan's plan.  Of course, a
black market for such cards would immediately spring
up, and it would be
extremely difficult to police.  Also, by letting some
people not pay the
taxes you end up offsetting some of the environmental
benefit of the tax.
Just a few thoughts.  I'm re-lurking again now.
--
Mauro Diotallevi