The first thing that comes to mind is that this is an expectable, albeit
immoral, response to the mess that hospitals find themselves in with regard
to treatment of the indigent.

I have had some extended conversations with my brother-in-law (a physician
who has a low income private practice in Northern Michigan (he sees a lot of
Medicaid patients, and the area is very poor).  We agreed that what is
needed is a system in which everyone can get a Chevy, but you have to pay
your own money if you want a BMW.  The system we have now is that a hospital
is not required to take any given patient (I think there are exceptions for
some public hospitals such as Ben Taub in Houston).  However, once a patient
is in, they must be afforded the best care available...until they meet
discharge criteria.  This is an overwhelming cost to the hospitals, with
virtually no hope of recovering the costs.

Insurance companies have the leverage to bargain down bills...as anyone who
has seen a hospital bill before and after adjustments can tell.  So, the
bills for those paying privately are through the roof...especially if they
do not pre-pay an negotiated amount.  For example, we got a bill for 50k for
the use of an operating room, a day in intermediate care, and 2 days in a
regular room.....and had to prove that we pre-paid a negotiated 12,500. The
insurance rates were lower than this, of course...so the hospitals can only
recoup so much of indigent care from insurance coverage for other patients.

Given this, we can see why hospitals would be strongly motivated to release
indigent patients that meet discharge criteria...particularly those who are
candidates for extensive expensive care. While this is certainly wrong, I
think the real problem is the system.

And, fixing this is not as easy as Moore might suggest.  As it stands, over
16% of GDP is spent on health care.....and this is with a significant
fraction of Americans obtaining sub-standard care If everyone was given the
BMW service, this would rise to 20% to 25% quickly.  As it stands, costs are
expected to rise to 20% within 10 years, which means that BMW care for all
would cost 25%-30% within 10 years.

There are a lot of things that can be done to address these costs, but they
will involve sacrifices by average people who now have good insurance.  We
will have to allow, as do other countries, government bureaucrats to decide
services that will be offered as well as waiting lists for non-emergency
procedures.

This problem is a good one for discussion here.  However, it will not be
solved by polemics that provide simple stories with heroes and villains like
that provided by Moore.  There is a hard way out for this, just no easy way
out.

Dan M.