It's been four days and no one has yet responded in this thread with
an observation I hoped someone would point out:  that "criticism" is
like "theory" in having a different (and less negative) meaning when
used in a formal academic setting (e.g., "literary criticism," where
the statements made by the critic about the piece of writing being
criticized may indeed be positive, neutral, or negative) than in the
vernacular (where "criticism" is usually considered to be both
negative and personal).  Though obviously I did deliberately steer
people reading my original post toward the vernacular meaning . . .

. . . ronn!  :)