On 29/07/2008, at 2:20 PM, Dan M wrote:
>> As I have said before, the assertion that the USA is the world's
>> engineroom is no longer true.
>
> It certainly isn't true as it was 8 years ago, but economists are
> debating
> how tied the world is to the spending of the US on credit cards (and
> their
> Fanny Mae equivalents.)

Not as much as the US is to it.

>> An American crash or collapse might slow
>> the rest of the world, but it won't plunge the rest of the world into
>> recession necessarily any more.
>
> That's true.  And, you see in my post that the consumption of the most
> critical commodity (oil) is not what it was 30 years ago.
> But.....there are
> still a lot of unknowns.  For example, the US has been running a
> gigantic
> trade deficit this decade....near 800 billion last year IIRC.  A lot
> of that
> money is going into Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac bonds.....and these
> institutions may be technically insolvent.

Yep.

> The US has to back them, it has little choice.  But it will be much
> harder
> to arrange a soft landing for the US housing bubble for the world
> economy
> than the Asian bubble of '98.

Banks will suffer. Stock markets will suffer (are suffering, in fact).
There'll be a knock-on effect, but other economies are moving away
from USD (and have been since the gold standard was dropped). If the
USA does crash and the rest of the world takes a hit, I think it'll be
the last time it happens with the US, 'cause with the level of
globalisation business will just move. The Asia-Pacific boom is self-
sustaining now, IMO. (Not sustainable, mind, but that's a different
issue).

> The fall of the dollar has been orderly.....but unless the trade
> imbalance
> fades with the dollar, there is a risk of a "run on the bank."

Big time.

> BTW, I'm not really arguing with you; I'm 90% in your corner in this
> discussion....I just have some worries about short and mid term
> problems.

So do I. I don't think it'll be rosy. I think it's going to be
horrific in the States, the UK will take a hit, Oz is taking a hit in
the banking sector but the resources boom will get us through the
worst. And this'll just drive business away from the States
(especially money business) for a good while. World confidence in the
USA is at an all-time low, much much worse than during Vietnam or the
(last) Oil Crisis. A hell of a lot is riding on the next US election
and the aftermath of it.

> In the long term, the continued improvement in productivity will
> facilitate
> economic growth.....but we could have a few rather unpleasant years.

Could? Will. Sorry. :-(

>  It's
> really unfortunate that Brad isn't an active member.....he could add
> a lot
> to this type of discussion.

Let's page him. BRAD!!!! BRADDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie.