On Aug 30, 2008, at 10:04 AM, Charlie Bell wrote:

>> I don't think I would want it to be taught as an "equal"
>> alternative, but
>> she's right, a healthy (and controlled) debate about a socially
>> sensitive
>> subject could be a healthy and useful life skill to develop.
>
> Not in school, and not in science class. In comparative religion,
> maybe, but it's hard enough to teach good science without adding a
> load of creation myths to the course. And that's the issue - "Both
> sides"? No - because if they allow "both sides" they have to allow ALL
> sides. That means Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Aboriginal... If you really
> wanted to cover what EVERY religion says about creation, there
> wouldn't be time for any science at all.
>
> Charlie.

I'd say it's quite possible to build an entire course curriculum
around the study of and comparisons between creation myths.  And it
would definitely be an interesting course.  (Especially for the
fundamentalists who want creationism taught in public schools,
although they would almost certainly not like teaching creationism in
classes where the competition with other belief systems is compeltely
legitimate .. :D )

"Giving kickbacks to the wealthy isn't creating wealth, it's just
giving kickbacks to the wealthy." -- Toby Ziegler