On Aug 30, 2008, at 1:10 PM, Jon Louis Mann wrote:

> "Bruce Bostwick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED], wrote:
>> I'd say it's quite possible to build an entire
>> course curriculum
>> around the study of and comparisons between creation myths.
>> It would definitely be an interesting course, especially for
>> fundamentalists who want creationism taught in public
>> schools,
>> although they would almost certainly not like teaching
>> creationism in
>> classes where the competition with other belief systems is
>> completely  legitimate .. :D )
>
> I took an anthropology class in college; I believe it was called
> Comparative Religion.  I consider it social science, rather than
> real science.
> Jon

Exactly.  The study of creationism *as a belief system*, within the
context of a course on studying belief systems themselves and their
history of development, is entirely legitimate science.  But it's a
scientific study of human behavior (and, to some extent, cognition) as
well as a critical approach to religious literature, not an attempt to
*apply* a particular belief system to biology and call it science.  :)

"I'm over the moon.  This is my over-the-moon face." -- Toby Ziegler