This is actually at the heart of my point.  As you said, it has to stop
someplace.  Different people have different stopping places when they
develop ethical systems.  Systems have been developed that I would guess
most of us would find repugnant, such as systems that consider the
extermination of other races as highly moral.

But, such systems, such as different maths, can have internal consistency.
There are tens of thousands (at least) different self-consistent axiomatic
systems.  Some are better at achieving a given goal (say modeling QM) than
others.  But, without such an external yardstick, there is no way to call
one system better than the other.

Dan M.