Wayne Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Another part of the deal (there would of course be thousands of parts)
> would be assurances that I would not become a slave after I emigrated (I
> believe the American constitution would spell that out).

Since the American constitution can be amended, that would not
protect you if there was a super-majority of people who wanted to force
you to do something.

> Sorry if the analogy is confusing or faulty, my main point is that
> governments are "consenting partners" too.

You seem to be talking about an odd sort of consent. You will consent
to do any new thing that "the government" decides to tell you to do, as
long as it is not too many things. In case it is not clear, the examples
I listed are new rules.