On Oct 27, 2008, at 9:24 AM, John Williams wrote:

>> I don't mind paying taxes
>
> Do you voluntarily contribute more than is required by law?

Was going to reply to this earlier but was interrupted by some
technical difficulties ..

I probably would, actually, if I had more margin between my income and
expenses (currently couldn't afford to even if I wanted to), and if
(much bigger if) it were possible to designate which programs I was
contributing to.  I don't really see the point in adding a tiny
trickle to the flood of money that's being poured into military action
in Iraq/Afghanistan at the moment, and even if I were able to
contribute over and above what I'm legally obligated to, it would
basically just be wasted at the moment.

But if I had it to give, and could be certain that it would go to
domestic social programs or anything else that went to helping out
people who genuinely needed it, yes, I most likely would.  The system
doesn't work that way, so for now at least, I contribute what's
required and leave it at that, but I'm not going to delude myself into
thinking the daily operations of the government of a country this
large don't come with a price tag, and until I sit down and do the
math for myself, I'm not inclined to argue too much with the system as
it is.