On Oct 27, 2008, at 1:12 PM, John Williams wrote:

>> *huge* "if" that, in all the times we've experimented with laissez-
>> faire market capitalism, has never been borne out in reality.  Do we
>> really need to do this one more time expecting different results, or
>> can we agree that there is a need to have *some* government
>> involvement in this kind of trading to prevent exactly this sort of
>> irresponsibly risky behavior?
>
> LOL. You're hilarious today. The government can save us! Despite
> all evidence to the contrary, it will be different this time! Worship
> the government! Government is God!

Actually, there is one point I do need to make here, so I'll respond
to at least that extent, ignoring the hyperbole.

One thing that should be obvious is that within any financial system,
the institutions that trade in that system (particularly the larger
ones, whose activities have direct and immediate impact on the
behavior of the market as a whole, as their share of the feedback
effects is proportionally larger) endanger the stability of the system
as a whole if they don't maintain reserves sufficient to cover the
worst case scenario of the risks they take.  If they have cash
reserves enough to cover their losses, they still lose money, but they
don't go bankrupt, and they don't threaten the stability of other
institutions.  In most forms of financial markets where investment
involves risk, the institutions (brokerage houses, mostly) are
required to maintain those reserves by federal law, and file reports
regularly with the government to provide data with which the overall
health of the market can be determined to at least some degree by
analysis.

What primarily caused this most recent crisis was a combination of a
completely unregulated side market in a derivative so indirectly
linked to actual financial transactions it was essentially gambling on
securities, with little to nothing in the way of reserves to cover
losses, which was covered up by accounting so haphazard that the
reinsurers like AIG who were theoretically covering the risk were all
reinsuring each other, and no one was actually holding the ball, and
*no one knew* until it was too late.  My point is that that sort of
playing fast and loose with the system is what we inevitably get when
there isn't *some* degree of regulation involved.  Are you seriously
suggesting that we should deregulate the entire financial system to
that extent?  Or would you agree that mandating at least enough
reserves in the system to where we don't get this domino effect when
the inevitable escalation of risk reaches the point where the system
can't withstand it anymore might actually be a good idea,
"interference" though it may be?