You know, if you took this and the first statement of yours I responded to
as axioms, you could probably put together a system in which both A and ~A
are both provable statements.  (This was considered a big negative when I
took math and logic). :-)

So, I think you have to pick one of the two statements you made and reject
the other.  Or, say that both have some impact, but are not nearly as
universal as you've portrayed.

Indeed, while I think the latter statement has some truth, the data don't
really fit it as a sole explanation.  Russia's birth rate fell as its
economic conditions fell.  There were far fewer births in the Great
Depression as there were in the post WWII prosperity.  The US has a far
higher birth rate among college educated women than Japan does.

My suggestion is that sociobiology is a viewpoint to be used, among others,
and that it is not a simple explanation.  But, unlike others on the list, I
do think partial understandings can be helpful.

Dan M.