Its true that its impossible to predict the future, but we've had 50 years
of trends, and that's worth something.  IIRC, baring some technological
breakthrough that will allow folks to live far longer fairly soon, the die
is cast for the decline of Europe and Japan.  Take Japan as an extreme
example.

It's somewhat unusual in that it has a double population peak in 2008.  The
first on is 55-59, the second 35-39.  30-35 is close to 35-39, but then it
drops off fast, ending up with 0-4 only half of 35-39.

There are a lot of reasons for this, but the bottom line is that the
overwhelming majority of females are either out of or leaving the age range
of fertility. (65% are 35 or older).  As a result, baring a drastic
immediate cultural change, the aging and then decline of Japan's population
is all but written in stone.

The EU as a whole is not as dramatic, but it should expect to see a 20% or
so decline in population every year.  So, it would take a massive change in
attitude to reverse this.  The single shining counterexample to all of this
is the US, which I'd argue is a unique multicultural country.

Second, mass disease/starvation still exists, but it's mostly in Africa. The
largest two countries (China and India) have done a great job of
pulling themselves out of abject poverty over the last 20 years.  China has
gone from a per capita income (inflation adjusted dollars) of $1700 to $7600
over that time.  That's not rich, but factors of almost 5 are nothing to be
sneezed at.  India has not done as well: $1100 to $3700, but that's still
better than a factor of 3.

I remember (maybe you are too young to) the massive starvation in India in
the '60s.  Now, there is still extreme poverty there, but there is not the
same risk to human life.

So, we are within a decade of this type of drastic drop in poor country
populations being confined to Sub-Sahara Africa.  Fertility rates are
falling around the world, but nowhere so drastic (besides Russia which is
falling out of the developed world) as in the highly developed world outside
of the US.

A couple of caveats, to be sure.  Still, summary info can be made from data.
The world will be far less Japanese and European in 100 years than it is
today.  And it is far less Japanese and European today than it was 100 years
ago.

Finally, are you thinking about a possible/probable collapse of
civilization?  That's one possibility that I had not addressed here.

Dan M.