What about the facts, would they change things much? :-)

I think there is some viability in the sociobiological argument that wealth
increases the attractiveness of men as mates.  But, if you look at "the
selfish gene" as an embodiment of sociobiology, you see that wealth has had
a paradoxical effect.

Look at the wealthiest countries in the world.  With the exception of the
US, they have fertility rates below replacement, some (like Japan, Germany
and Italy) far below replacement.

The countries with high fertility rates tend to be poorer.  Thus, wealth is
anti-correlated with the probability a person's gene marker will be seen in
a given member of the Nth generation after one's own (which is a standard
measure of sociobiological fitness).

Dan M.