Which oil patch are you talking about? Offshore drilling is not
feasible at the 60-80 dollar range as was proven by the fact that over
66 million acres under lease have not been drilled. I believe the last
dry hole offshore in Alaska cost $150 million. My wife's small share
of oil rights in west Texas were not opened up until we hit the 80+
range and at least one of those wells was depleted in six months.

Can we agree that the price of oil is being manipulated? The question
is why and by who. Perhaps if we look at the results of the price
changes it will give us a clue. With the old administration the price
of oil could go up significantly and nothing was really done. What
would have been the reaction of the new administration in the face of
such price increases? We know because Obama and his team has been very
clear, a national program to get this country off of oil. Now if you
did not want this to happen what would be the quickest thing you could
do to kill such a program? Drive the price of oil down? and what do we
see? It is almost too obvious to believe, isn't it? But this
discussion is an example of how effective it has been.

Automobile sales figures have to take into account more than just
falling oil prices. Add in the lending difficulties that financial
institutions are having with the expiration of tax incentives on some
hybrids(Prius) makes any such analysis suspect. I also believe that
tremendous incentives that dealers are offering to clear inventory has
had the biggest effect. No such incentives are being offered on
hybrids to the best of my knowledge.

Our culture from the sales people to we, the consumers, in general
think in terms of 3 to 5 year vehicle life. Why not take a good deal
now on a gas guzzler, knowing that in 3 to 5 years we will get a new
vehicle which will be more efficient than today's hybrids? The
assumption of course is that things will be better in the near term,
gas prices will stay low and that we will be able to afford a new
vehicle in 3 to 5 years. Advertising supports this message and
companies spend money on advertising because it works especially if
you are trying to create short term results. If they ever needed short
term results GM, Ford and Chrysler need them now. The sales numbers
you are seeing are being driven by those advertising dollars and
dealer discounts. Once again we shoot ourselves in the foot over short
term results.

I bought a Prius and a Ford Hybrid early last year and I am not
apologetic  nor do I regret it. I think that the next few years will
prove the decision to be both financially prudent and environmentally
sound. I suspect that you will see the sales numbers for gas guzzlers
go down quickly once inventories are drawn down and new incentives are
not forthcoming. In addition the car companies know this. The lines
for big vehicles are being closed or severely cut back. New more
efficient vehicles are being pushed through R&D.  Obama's team will
not forget their plans nor should they. Our national financial
security should not be held hostage to the whim of some hazy entity
that can manipulate oil prices.

I know I am jumping in here late. I hope that my thoughts add to the
discussion.

Chris Frandsen