On 08/05/2009, at 12:05 PM, Dan M wrote:

Bloody po-mo all opinions are equally valid crap. Really gets up my
nose, along with the "everyone has to pass" rubbish some school
systems push. Grrrrr.

I hope you aren't too insulted by this Charlie, but you've summed up two of
my pet peeves rather well; I'm 100% with you on this. :-)

Why would I be insulted if you agree with me? It just means there's still hope for you... ;-)

Some of my fondest memories was losing in tennis to my dad, who use to be the local club champ in his youth...and kept on remembering his game as I
got older and better.  My mother suggested that my dad let me win
occasionally, and we were both horrified by the though. It's OK to lose,
its OK to admit a mistake.

Bingo. Learning how to learn from losing is one of the biggest life lessons. Yeah, there's the old adage "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser...", but the point is broader - accepting there's a REASON you lost is the biggest part of working out how to win, or pass, or even accept you were playing the wrong game. And accepting you were beaten by a better player is a step towards working out how they beat you, and being better yourself. You don't learn much by winning all the time.

Charlie