On Jul 11, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Dave Land wrote:

On Jul 10, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Charlie Bell wrote:

On 11/07/2009, at 1:25 AM, Dave Land wrote:

On Jul 9, 2009, at 5:21 PM, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

At 07:07 PM Thursday 7/9/2009, hkhenson wrote:

snip (considerable)

On the other hand, also coming into my screen today was a blog entry from The Oildrum, specifically a<http://www.theoildrum.com/node/5485#more > guest blog under the byline of "Gail the Actuary" in which an expert on space-based solar power explained how a new approach to the launch of vehicles may be able to cut the cost enough that space-based solar energy would become an answer, even the answer, to our future energy problems. Space-based solar arrays are one of those technologies that are always somewhere over the horizon, and some would say over the rainbow. If you take a few minutes to read this blog, and again the comments, you find the dissonance on full display. On the one hand you have a person saying that there may be an energy answer after fossil fuels. On the other hand you have lots of people not only saying it is not possible, but directly arguing that a human die-back is more desirable than cheap energy.

And as I always ask folks who express similar ideas, how many of them volunteered to start it by being the first to go right now?

I've never thought of this as a particularly effective response. Besides being too much of a personal attack, it is too easily deflected: Those who would make an argument like that (that a culling of the human species is an effective solution to one problem or another) clearly think of some human lives as having less value than others. They would almost certainly put themselves in the "high value" group. It is also a little to close to an "I'm- rubber-you're-glue" kind of school-yard argument technique. Better is to probe to see what populations they would like to see culled, how they would evaluate cases, and so forth. It gets at the same thought process without seeming to be a personal attack.

And anyway - reducing populations by lowering breeding rates is just as effective, and as has been shown the world over, as populations become more affluent and better educated they breed later and less (often choosing to have none or one child).

So the answer to the population crisis is development and education, not culling.

Perfect -- and really more the point of my comment: why merely irritate them when your goal is to engage them in considering the ramifications of their idiotic statement? But yes: education does wonders to slow population growth.

I should have known: XKCD says it better than I ever could…

    http://xkcd.com/603/

Dave