William T Goodall wrote:

On 1 Aug 2009, at 09:12, KZK wrote:

> Dr. Brin Wrote:
> True, copyright piracy is (generally) bad.  But the bloody
> inconvenience and blithering incomprehensibility of simply using a
> modern DVD player to watch a film that you already own - let alone
I don't get why you would consider this to be so. DVD's are very simple: You put a disc (made the same way a CD is for 1 layer discs) into a device and close the door. The machine plays the Disc. This usually involves a non-bypassable FBI warning
DVD region codes. NTSC or PAL? Stereo or 5.1? Dolby or DTS? Component or HDMI? Upscale to 720P or 1080i?

William--  I agree with you on some, and want to add an
item.

DVD region codes:  Not in the consumer's interest.  I wound up buying
my wife a multiregion DVD player, just so we could watch German DVDs.

NTSC vs. PAL:  Not a fair criticism.  That mess was created a LONG
time ago, and was also a problem with VHS tapes.  (A bigger problem,
since the players were analog.)

The others you list:  It's still possible to just go with the defaults
there.

That non-bypassable FBI and/or Interpol warning:  This is actually
a loss for DVDs.  With VHS, you could ALWAYS fast-forward.  Why
aren't there hacks to skip the start-up warnings on DVDs?

                                ---David