On Aug 1, 2009, at 10:15 PM, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

At 07:31 PM Saturday 8/1/2009, David Brin wrote:
Today's DVD's

1- are not universal if you record on "minus" or "plus" mode and many units throw fits, even then

Another problem, at least with the unit I have, is that if I want to record a program (frex) from 8 to 9 on channel m followed by one from 9 to 10 on channel n onto VHS, it works fine and I get both programs in full (assuming my clock is sufficiently in sync with the clock the station is using). If I try to do the same thing to record to DVD±RW, when it finishes recording the first program instead of changing channels and recording the second program it spends anywhere from about 30 seconds to 2 minutes displaying "Writing to disc . . . " and a status bar and so I miss the beginning of the second program. (Or the end of the first if I try to compensate for that "feature" by setting the first recording to end at 8:58 or 8:59 . . .)

Is that the case with all DVD±R/RW machines, or just the [relatively] cheap one I got in order to have something in place before the end of analog broadcasts?

Depends on the make/model. This sounds sort of like what a Sony would do ..

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -- John Ruskin