At 04:09 PM Sunday 9/6/2009, Nick Arnett wrote:

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM, John Williams <jwilliams4...@gmail.com > wrote:
No, that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about freedom to
choose what to do with one's money.

Me, too.  Freedom for a nation to choose what to do with its money, just like corporations and people are free to choose.

How can you insist that for a nation to choose to provide health care to all of its citizens is taking away freedom?  Is freedom threatened by the nation choosing to provide highways, police, fire, education and so forth to everyone?  Are those services bad because they are run by government?  Where's the consistency in this argument?

Some people fear that government-run health care will feature all the cleanliness and maintenance standards of Walter Reed combined with the prompt service for which the DMV is famous and the compassion of the IRS, and want to know what guarantees there will be that it will be like the things government does well instead of the things that make the news as scandals or annoy and frustrate almost everyone who has to deal with them . . .

. . . ronn!  :)