>> Given that, do you consider it dishonorable for me to have taken out a
>> mortgage?

>Of course not. But I would expect an honorable person, if they were
>not foreclosed upon, and if they recovered from the illness and had a
>new income, to attempt to pay back the money.

Given the fact that a portion of the interest I paid the bank was a premium
to cover the banks loss in case of such a default; why is it dishonorable to
consider that an insurance payment?  As Brad pointed out, mortgages interest
rates are calculated to include the probability of default.

I see your idealism, but that's not how the market works.  Defaulting on a
loan has a penalty associated with it; it will be hard to get another loan
in the future, and if one does, it will be at a higher rate.  25 years ago,
that wasn't true, and people did dishonorable things in foreclosures.  But,
I think losing one's job and house and having a default on one's record is
enough of a penalty.

>Are you saying that Nick has an extreme hardship that is keeping him
>from paying his mortgage?

No, I'm saying that, if you read what Nick wrote, that he had a deal with
the bank, and that they tried to back out of it on a technicality.  If it
required a payment of about $2000 and he read it as $2023 and it was really
$2063, the reasonable action was to ask for the $40 within a reasonable time
frame.  If all he wants is that deal to go through, that's very
reasonable....especially if the bank made bigger mistakes and are breaking
the law in trying to enforce the mortgage.

Plus, it is stupid for the bank.  He's willing to pay on a mortgage bigger
which exceeds what the bank can get for the house.  Given the overpriced
nature of housing in California, even a small reversal now can make a
mortgage payment overwhelming.  Given that, asking them to honor an
agreement they made is not dishonorable.

One problem with dealing with big institutions is it's not who is legally in
the right that matters, but who has the best lawyers.  I know about that
from dealing with IP.  No solo inventor dares sue a multinational for
infringement of a patent....the multinational can make them go
bankrupt.....unless they have a spare million to defend spurious lawsuits.

So, given that, I see nothing dishonorable in Nick playing hardball to get
the bank to honor their agreement, instead of weaseling out on a dubious
technicality.

Dan M.