Just a second: huge numbers of replies to this message, and so far all I have
seen missed your error.
'Responsible for repaying' does not mean 'there is no situation imaginable
where you will not complete your obligation.'
Being responsible and honorable means only that you will do so until the debt
is repaid. If you die or are otherwise unable to pay, that is a separate
consequence, and is no part of your attitude toward paying.
Or, look at it this way: you are being honorable if you pay all the debt, as
long as you can do so physically (not financially, which is all the law seems
to require). That means you have not treated the debt as someone else's
problem, or unrealistic, or some failure of the creditor's. If you cannot
afford a house, but you agree to a mortgage for one that you know you cannot
actually pay off, then you have been dishonorable. (Yes, that means a lot of
buyers were dishonorable in the last couple decades. Is there any other way to
see it? Owning your own house is neither necessary nor obligatory, but I have
only heard people excuse the problem as though society and the banking industry
all agreed everyone has to own their own home.)

Mitch

[from mePad]