On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Mitch <mi...@oceanbound.net> wrote:
> Here's what it seems you are writing:
> Cars are made to withstand impacts. Car insurance covers the cost of
> repairing collisions. Not every driver will drive without a collision.
> Therefore, insured drivers individually do not have any obligation to avoid
> collisions.
> Do you see that even though the insurance industry is there to pay for
> collisions, wanton abuse is not what it is calculating for?

That reminds me of a scene from a movie, but I cannot remember what
movie it was. Guy goes into car rental agency with gold card and rents
a car plus all of the insurance he can get, then he deliberately
drives the car through the side of a building across the street. It
was funny in the movie, but that is not an honorable thing to do.

It is hard to come up with good examples for this sort of thing. I'll
make another attempt.

Consider home insurance for damage, particularly fires. I imagine the
actuaries include some amount in the premium they charge to account
for arson (i.e., deliberate burning of the house) that is never
discovered, so that the insurance company has to pay off. The
actuaries try to account for everything they can, so surely they must
consider undiscovered arson. But that does not mean that it is okay to
burn your house down, just because the insurance company has included
some amount in the premium for undiscovered arson. Deliberately
burning your house down is cheating the insurance company. It is not
honorable.

Strategic default is also dishonorable. It is cheating either the
insurance company or the lender (depending on whether there is
mortgage insurance).