Hi EuroDisc and BritDisc,

I have been following the Spirit of the Game/Observers
discussion on Britdisc (
http://www.mail-archive.com/britdisc%40near.me.uk/ )
and have just caught up with the comments on Eurodisc
(
http://www.ira.uka.de/~thgries/disc/EuroDisc-Archive/2004/Mar/
). I want to throw in my two cents... My apologies for
it being a long two cents, but a lot of issues have
been raised.

As has been suggested, this problem has deep
philosophical roots that have been debated for
centuries. Does human nature mean that we require
outside interference to ensure adherence to societal
rules? Most sports say yes, but I have always enjoyed
ultimate because it seems to suggest no. I don't see
how we in Ultimate can attempt to answer a question
that has bedevilled philosophy for centuries. So lets
try and be practical. I want to suggest a few steps
that, while I realise it won't please everybody, might
try to lead to a middle-path option.

Firstly, where does the sport of Ultimate see itself
in ten, twenty or fifty years' time? 
1) Is the goal to remain a haven of alternativism,
completely outside of the mainstream sports, 
2) To become a highly professionalised money-making
entertainment sport utterly beholden to TV, or
3) Something in the broad middle ground of competitive
sport played with regard for its roots - as a sport
valuing mutual respect between players?
I would argue that in many respects it has already
moved out of the first category, but that there are
few adherents yet for the second category. The third
category may well include at some point a desire to
move for Olympic recognition. I have no idea about
what goes on at the highest echelons, but the decision
of the WFDF last year to move towards adoption of the
World Anti-Doping Code is consistent with covering the
necessary bases for such a move. Similarly, if Olympic
recognition were a WFDF aim, or at least something
they don't want to rule out, then it would appear that
removing the Observer rule is a non-starter. An IOC
review of the Olympic Program in 2002 stated, "The
judging and adjudicating system of a sport must ensure
objectivity, fairness and transparency" (Sub-bullet
point within Point 2.2, Review of the Olympic
Program... IOC 2002 from
http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_527.pdf ).
I think it highly doubtful that player self-regulation
would count in their eyes as objective. An argument
could be made for observers of some degree or another
as fulfilling this requirement. Of course the Olympics
might not be a goal we wish to pursue, or one that is
even open to us given the recent IOC desire to limit
the size of the Olympics. However, if it is an option
we want to keep open, it needs to be considered.

Secondly, observers in passive or active roles? UPA
rules allow for active observers (article XVIII, point
B, clauses 3b, 4 and 5). WFDF rules state observers
must be passive (article 404.15, point B, clause 1.).
Generally, American respondents to these discussions
on Britdisc and Eurodisc have defended the use of
observers and stated that the active participation on
line calls has been useful. From the discussions it
appears Europeans, and maybe others, would say that if
observers have to remain, then the move from passive
to active is a line they would not be prepared to
consider crossing. As I see it, the passive observer
essentially keeps play within the control of the
players and the observer is merely there to arbitrate,
rather than control. I do not know the politics behind
the differences in UPA and WFDF rules, but while they
remain separate, is there not the possibility that one
code or the other could develop in a manner not deemed
acceptable to the other and we could see two different
sports emerging? I think I am correct in saying that
different rule evolution led to the divergence of
American Football and Rugby. Would it be possible to
try to bring the two codes together? This may mean
Europeans and others having to accept the option
remaining for a minimal role for observers in the
game, but could limit the chances of the observer role
developing further (as it did in soccer) in one of the
codes to the point where we are essentially playing
two different games. (I'm sure the position of Dan
Engstrom on the UPA rules committee and the UPA
representative on the WFDF Ultimate committee, is in
part an effort to ensure this does not happen, but I
feel the point still needs to be made).

Thirdly, developing an Ultimate Charter to enshrine
the principle of Spirit of the Game and mutual respect
between players. Thankfully in the discussions so far,
everyone seems wedded to the concept of Spirit of the
Game. There also seems to be widespread horror at the
prospect of following the soccer route and eventually
ending up with referees. An Ultimate Charter need not
be a long document and, unlike the rules, which are
tinkered with as necessary, this might set out a
couple of basic principles that Ultimate should always
seek to adhere to. Such a document would be applicable
to all Ultimate codes, WFDF, UPA or whatever. It would
only be changeable by, for example, a two-thirds
majority of WFDF affiliated associations. It could
state that Spirit of the Game is the defining
characteristic of our sport and that it should remain
so, no matter how big/small, rich/poor,
alternative/mainstream, the sport becomes. As such
responsibility for on-pitch decision-making should
essentially always remain with the players and never
with a referee. If observers are to remain, then some
form of words could be found to accommodate them in
their existing form, but the principle would be to act
as a break on any further evolution of their role, so
we do not wake to find ourselves in a 'soccer
situation' 20 years down the line.

Finally, Band-Aids v Prevention. It has been argued
that observers are a Band-Aid solution and that what
is really needed is prevention, through promotion of
Spirit of the Game - something that is best enhanced
by removing observers, the presence of whom permits a
shifting of responsibility. I want to be Utopian, I
really do, but I think that even with all the
Prevention in the world, there is still going to be
the occasional cut that requires a Band-Aid. What we
don't need is prevention by bandaging everybody from
head to foot, which is what would happen with
referees. I have never played with observers, I like
playing the game without observers, have never
personally felt the need for observers in any game I
have played and hope I don't ever feel the need to
play with them. Nevertheless, after observing one
player, from one competitive team, tell his team mates
last year to "always contest" calls, I think the
option of having passive observers available at the
top level of competition, should Captains wish to
request them, should remain. However, I think having a
Band-Aid option available should go hand-in-hand with
ensuring emphasis remains on Spirit of the Game and
preventing this principle from being further eroded.
As such, a process for more formal control mechanisms
at what has been called the community level might be
welcome. On Britdisc, Ben Heywood has pre-empted what
I was going to say by suggesting the following:

>"Now here's the bit that'll get a few people upset.
>The best way I can see of maintaining SOTG is to link
>poor spirit to some form of sanction. I've heard the
>following idea from a few people, and I wonder what
>the wider community thinks...
>
>"In every game at a tournament, each team receives a
>spirit mark out of ten. Not for stupid songs and
>being nice guys, but for adherence to (and as [Wayne]
>Retter correctly points out, knowledge of) the rules.
>Teams who average below three points (or who score
>more than 2 'zero's, or indeed any other agreed
>arbitrary minimum spirit requirement) are not invited
>to the next tournament (or are publicly named and
>shamed, or any other fitting punishment).
>
>"Obviously, we all have games where personalities
>clash, or where lots of close calls happen, or
>whatever; but across a whole tournament every team
>should be able to set a reasonable standard of
>behaviour.
>
>"(Note: I think every team now in Britain would pass
>incredibly strict standards for minimum spirit - this
>idea is all about the long term protection of the
>spirit of the game). If Milky wants a way to
>incorporate spirit into the rules, why not something
>like this?"

I think it is now fairly common at tournaments for
teams to give spirit scores to each team they play,
often on a 0-5 or 0-10 basis etc, to decide who wins
the spirit prize. I don't see why this cannot be
formalized in some form and if there is a team that
consistently scores very poorly, the relevant body for
each level of competition (E.G. World, Continental,
National) could have the power to ask that team to
explain their poor behaviour and if necessary to
suspend that team for one event at that same level. It
would not be unfair to a team if they have one poorly
spirited player dragging them down, because it should
give that team incentive to self-censure that player
to prevent them from all getting in trouble. Such a
system may well prevent further deterioration of
Spirit by competitive pressures because there is a
competitive sanction. As a result hopefully most teams
should feel confident enough in the system that they
need never resort to the band-aid option of observers.

In conclusion, where does the game want to go? Is this
compatible with having or not having observers? I
think there already exists some pressure on Spirit
from competition. With the WFDF Ultimate committee
stating that their task for 2003-2007 is "to foster
the continuing growth worldwide of the sport of
ultimate" (WFDF Ultimate Committee Game Plan
2003-2007, page 3, from
http://www.wfdf.org/WFDFUltCom.pdf ), the option of
burying our heads in the sand and hoping that we can
remain 'alternative' is not really one that is open to
us. While opinion over observers is divided, everyone
seems to value Spirit of the Game and doesn't want to
see responsibility completely removed from the
individual - so how do we best prevent the latter and
preserve the former? I have tried in good faith to
offer some practical suggestions towards a middle-path
here, but expect others will disagree with it. Let the
debate continue... :o) 

Thanks for reading if you got this far! :oD

'Diva' David Connop Price
Blue Arse Flies #8
(The views represented above are my own and not those
of my team)



        
        
                
___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
__________________________________________________
BritDisc mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://pootle.near.me.uk/mailman/listinfo/britdisc
Staying informed - http://www.ukultimate.com/informed.asp

Reply via email to