On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 8:05 AM, Amritpal Singh <amrit3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:32 PM, Charlie Stirk <cwst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This thread is probably the best place to continue the discussion for now
> > because the hard part will be figuring out how to do the IFC procedural
> > geometry with BRL-CAD.   BRL-CAD already uses STEPcode for their STEP
> > importer.   So the explicit geometry from IFC could be handled by
> STEPcode.
> > The implicit IFC geometry (procedural things like extrusions) will have
> > be handled by the BRL-CAD procedural capabilities.
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> According to you, we just make the importer of the ifc file for
> BRL-CAD by using STEPcode because BRL-CAD already uses STEPcode for
> STEP translator and also IFC standards is similar to STEP's part42. We
> just add the ifc prefix to all entity of STEP's part42 because
> geometry representation of STEP's part42 is similar to IFC standards.

No, that is backwards.   On import you need to remove the IFC prefix before
sending the explicit geometry through BRL-CAD's importer for STEP.

> For the understanding, we just take a look of how OpenCasCade and
> STEP's translator are interlinked because we can do the similar thing
> in our project.

No, you need to look at how IfcOpenShell does the IFC implicit geometry
with OpenCasCade.

Now what we can do for starting this project?

You need to understand what you need to do before you start doing.   Do
more research.   Take a look at the similarities and differences of IFC and
STEP files.   Take a look at how IfcOpenShell works.   See how BRL-CAD
modeling primitives could do the implicit geometry in IFC.   Then come back
when you understand this and have questions.   Work on a patch for BRL-CAD,
like a simple change to the step-g importer that checks for the .ifc file
extension, and removes the IFC prefix from all the entities.

> --
> Amritpal Singh
> Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College, India
> http://www.amritpals.com/
> https://github.com/amrit3701

Charlie Stirk
1472 North St.