Hello all, particularly Samuel,

The NVDA project is currently in the process of upgrading Python to version 3.11. I recall that when we updated to Python 3.7 3 years ago, I had to create a brlapi python extension manually, as the python version bundled in the Windows packages didn't match Python 3.7.

Python has something like the stable application binary Interface (ABI), see https://docs.python.org/3.11/c-api/stable.html . This can be used by enabling the limited API.

I wonder, has this ever been considered? If not, could it be considered to create a brlapi python package that uses the limited API, preferably using an API version that is equal to the minimum Python version that is still in maintenance (currently 3.8)? That would ensure that you'd be able to use a brlapi python extension with multiple python versions.

Regards,

Leonard