[quoted lines by Leonard de Ruijter on 2023/10/16 at 19:52 +0200]

the makefile might fail with running setup.py. You will have to
change bdist_wininst into bdist_egg. The newer versions of python no longer
support creating a windows installer.
Is it just a matter of changing the module name? Are the names within the newer
module the same?

I'm not sure what module you mean here, but I've seen bdist_egg working okay when I was experimenting with building BRLTTY based on MSYS2.

Alternatively, you will need to install the wheel package with pip and then
use bdist_wheel.I actually think that would be the proper way to go, as wheel
is now the start of the art format to install prebuidl Python packages.
Do you know this stuff well enough to make the needed changes? I don't.

I have not yet played with bdist_wheel myself.