[quoted lines by Henk Abma on 2018/03/10 at 20:41 +0100]

>I like this approach. I use a braille display on my Android device
>occationally, so for me brltty doesn't have to be active all the time.

The latest code (not released yet) has a permanent foreground notification
which contains one of the following connection states:
* waiting (this is the state it polls in)
* connected (this is when it's communicating with the braille device)
* released (you've explicitly released the braille device so it doesn't poll)

If you open the Notifications shade then, of course, you get a larger version.
It additionally contains the name of the currently selected device, as well as
a hint that if you tap it you'll go to brltty's Settings screen. This is also a
much quicker way to get to brltty's settings.

So you may now be wondering how you can explicitly release the braille device.
This is done via a new general settings check box named Release Braille Device.
This setting, at least for now, is persistent.

One defficiency is that, if you're in an environment where you really don't
want to turn speech on, then +reenabling the braille device is a bit tricky.
Perhaps lock/unlock should automatically reenable braille, but then you might
end up with it polling when you still don't want it to. I'm still thinking
about it.

By the way: While working on this, I was reminded about an old issue that I'd
forgotten about. It used to be that using the braille device when on one of
brltty's virtual screens (help, the menu, etc) wouldn't keep the Android device
awake. This is fixed in the latest code.

>Also you could decide to poll a few times after the device is unlocked, so if
>the user cannot access the notification, e.g. because (s)he doesn't hear the
>speech, they could just lock/unlock to get the display connected.

But it'd be difficult to enter the PIN to unlock the device if both braille and
speech are off.

>So:
>1. if unlocking poll a few times for a braille display
>2. If none found, suspend brltty and show a foreground notification that can
>re-initiate the polling.
>3. If connection to the display gets lost, poll a few more times and if that
>fails, restore the foreground notification.

Yes, except for how to turn braille back on in the case where you don't want
speech on.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: d...@mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |