Title: Share knowledge at  Buddhi Base

Messages In This Digest (4 Messages)

Messages

1.

Reflections on Teaching Yoga and Buddhism in Cambodia – Monks an

Posted by: "John Kimbrough" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:16 am (PST)

Reflections on Teaching Yoga and Buddhism in Cambodia
– Monks and Temples

In living, working and travelling in Asia for the last
twenty years, this writer has always been interested
in visiting Buddhist temples and has done such a thing
in Bangladesh, China, Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka, Myanmar
(Burma), Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

In visiting these places, I was never really clear in
my mind what it was I wanted to see or find there.
Perhaps there was a hope that I would find a wise monk
and friend that would give me the peace and insight
that I desired, or perhaps the compassion and loving
kindness that I needed at the moment. The reality is
that most of the time I saw no one at all or monks and
lay people who seemed uninterested in me or were more
involved in their own activities and actions at the
moment. Sadly and disturbingly, some of them seemed to
be suspicious or even frightened of me, though it
could have been nothing more then a curiosity laced
with a bit of anxiety.

What did I find in visiting these temples? I guess it
was a moment’s peace from the sensual desires, ill –
will, and restlessness that plague this world and all
of mankind, but once I left the temple those things
were there again to be dealt with in both an unseen
and seen way.

It was only recently that this writer became more
mindful that the temple is within one’s mind and that
the things that we need to work on are within
ourselves, not dealt directly with or overcome by
being in a temple.

This is said because in more then one temple and among
more then one group of monks living in Buddhist
temples throughout Asia, this writer has found
laziness and a misunderstanding of the Buddhist
teachings and disciplines.

Monks, like all of us, need a strong and wise leader
and guidance and if that is lacking, that lax monastic
life and attitude that the Buddha has warned us
against is allowed to develop and fester, hurting all
involved.

In Cambodia, we can find the facilities of the temple
and the order of monks used and joined in different
ways.

One thing that I have found most interesting is the
number of monks who do not intend to be monks
throughout their life and work towards a perfection of
the Buddhist teachings and disciplines but instead
wish to disrobe and enter a profession such as
business or marketing. They can not be faulted for
having such an attitude or desire, as they need to
think about both their own financial welfare and that
of their family. In fact, the main reason that many of
them became monks in the first place was to escape
from the poverty of their life and get an education of
some kind.

Hopefully they will use their time as monks to learn
as much as they can about the Buddhist teachings and
disciplines and be able to mindfully apply them, so
that when they do get out into the reality of the
world again, they do it with mindfulness and do not
fall under the sway and influence of those things that
create suffering for both themselves and others.

It will be compassion that rules their life, not a
competitive spirit or greed.

This is what we want to gain from the understanding
and practice of Buddhism.

It is the objective of the monk’s training and
Buddhist temples throughout the world.

But sometimes we need to realize that monks and
temples in any country are not able to fulfill this
objective or are unable to work to it in a steady and
focused manner, as they have to deal with the same
mental defilements, fluctuations and hindrances as we
all do, and that a mental awakening and focus is
something that for some can take a great deal of time
and effort to initiate.

Because of this, those of us who wish to make a
commitment to living our life within the framework of
the Buddhist teachings and disciplines, need to be
self – reliant and learn, investigate and practice own
our own to some extent and that monks and temples may
not offer us the insight that we need or seek at the
moment.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough

Yours in Yoga,

John

Sponsored Link

$200,000 mortgage for $660/ mo -
30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt -
http://yahoo.ratemarketplace.com

2.

Creativity Sphere

Posted by: "anna" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:23 am (PST)

Dear AllDear All
Creativity Sphere (CS, September - October 2006/44) is being sent as an attachment.

Thanks for your responses to the earlier issue and also for sending more names for inclusion in the mailing list. Looking forward to your comments for this issue as well.

Please reply to annamalai_n@vsnl.com.

The earlier issues. CS - 34, 35, 36 , 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 and 43 are also available in the archives of the site 'www.creativitysphere.com.'

If you are not interested in receiving future announcements on the issues of CS, please inform me. I will remove your name from the list and stop sending the future issues.

Regards, Anna

Dr N Annamalai

Tel: 044 23719267, Mobile: 09444269395

Email: annamalai_n@vsnl.com
3.

Titanic And My Life

Posted by: "L.u.c.c.h.a" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   notorious_cyber_cop

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:23 am (PST)

*Students were assigned to read 2 books, "Titanic" & "My Life" by
Bill Clinton. One smart-ass student turned in the following book report,
with the proposition that they were nearly identical stories! His cool
professor gave him an A+ for this report:
*
Titanic:..... $29.99.
Clinton :..... $29.99.

Titanic:..... Over 3 hours to read.
Clinton :..... Over 3 hours to read.

Titanic:..... The story of Jack and Rose, their forbidden love,
and subsequent catastrophe.
Clinton:..... The story of Bill and Monica, their forbidden love,
and subsequent catastrophe.

Titanic:..... Jack is a starving artist.
Clinton:..... Bill is a bullshite artist.

Titanic:..... In one scene, Jack enjoys a good cigar.
Clinton :..... Ditto for Bill.

Titanic:..... During ordeal, Rose's dress gets ruined.
Clinton :..... Ditto for Monica.

Titanic:..... Jack teaches Rose to spit.
Clinton :..... Let's not go there.

Titanic:..... Rose gets to keep her jewelry.
Clinton:..... Monica's forced to return her gifts.

Titanic:..... Rose remembers Jack for the rest of her life.
Clinton:..... Clinton doesn't remember Jack.

Titanic:..... Rose goes down on a vessel full of seamen.
Clinton:..... Monica...ooh, let's not go there, either.

Titanic:..... Jack surrenders to an icy death.
Clinton :..... Bill goes home to Hilary...basically the same thing.

— L.u.c.c.h.a™
4.

A Select Collection of Quotations About Life

Posted by: "L.u.c.c.h.a" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   notorious_cyber_cop

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:25 am (PST)

A Select Collection of Quotations About Life

Amy Grant: Quotations about Life
More important than talent, strength, or knowledge is the ability to
laugh at yourself and enjoy the pursuit of your dreams.

Ralph Waldo Emerson: Quotations about Life
Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own
sunshine.

Anthony Robbins: Quotations about Life
Most people have no idea of the giant capacity we can immediately
command when we focus all of our resources on mastering a single area
of our lives.

Mary Kay Ash: Quotations about Life
Most people live and die with their music still unplayed. They never
dare to try.

Bertrand Russell: Quotations about Life
Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so.

Lee Iacocca: Quotations about Life
My father always used to say that when you die, if you've got five
real friends, then you've had a great life.

Charles Kettering: Quotations about Life
My interest is in the future; as I'm going to be spending the rest of
my life there.

Montaigne: Quotations about Life
My life has been filled with terrible misfortune; most of which never
happened.

Aristotle: Quotations about Life
Nature does nothing uselessly.

Ovid: Quotations about Life
Neither can the wave that has passed by be recalled, nor the hour
which has passed return again.

— L.u.c.c.h.a™ <http://www.jdoqocy.com/8r97nowksv9CBJFEIC9BADIDEIA>
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Mail

Next gen email?

Try the all-new

Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Y! Messenger

Want a quick chat?

Chat over IM with

group members.

Need to Reply?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BuddhiBase
http://www.buddhibase.org

To subscribe, send an blank email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

BuddhiBase Team (Muthu Veerappan, Mohamed Nisar & Vivekhanandam)