Stop posting slop to the mailing list.

Jessica

> On 3 Oct 2026, at 11:47, Claire <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Hello,
> 
> Thank you for pushing back again — and you are right. Your
> question was never "can these properties exist?" but "why
> translators specifically?", and my previous answer avoided it. So
> here is the honest one.
> 
> Yes, of course I could implement this stack for Linux as ordinary
> user-space programs, and I could add GPU support for larger
> models. Nothing in the design is impossible without translators,
> and points 1-12 do not prove otherwise. The real reason is
> simpler and more personal: this idea has been in my head for a
> long time, and I could not find a satisfying shape for it. The
> translator abstraction is what finally let me put it in order —
> one responsibility per translator, every interaction as a file.
> Seeing the architecture through that lens is what turned a vague
> idea into something I could actually plan and build.
> 
> For a first version, having everything under the form of files
> brings real practical advantages: I never have to design an API
> or a wire format, I compose components by mounting them, and I
> inspect everything with cat. And to my knowledge, Hurd is the
> only system that offers this capability natively — arbitrary code
> attached to a node of the filesystem, started and stopped by the
> system itself. That is why the project targets Hurd specifically:
> not because it cannot be done elsewhere, but because only here it
> is native instead of rebuilt.
> 
> On GPUs, you are also right: today the efficiency of LLMs comes
> mainly from GPUs, and a CPU-only stack stays in the small-model
> category (9B-class models, MLPs, small CNNs/PINNs). The neuron
> translator as currently designed belongs to that category, and I
> do not claim otherwise. The ideal would be for Hurd and Mach to
> grow a GPU layer, so that larger models could run on larger
> infrastructure within the same architecture. That is a long-term
> wish, and I am under no illusion about its difficulty. As my
> mother often says: "pas a pas, marche apres marche" — step by
> step, one walk after the other. This first version is the first
> step: making the architecture correct, inspectable and
> replaceable. If it proves sound, the compute layer can be
> revisited.
> 
> Thank you for the honest criticism — it genuinely sharpened my
> own understanding of the project.
> 
> Best regards,
> 
> Claire Ivanenka
> [email protected]
> GNU AI — https://gnu-ai.org
> 
> 
> On Sat, 2026-10-03 at 18:23 +0800, Donjuanplatinum wrote:
>> Hello Claire, thank you for the explanation.
>> 
>> But I think you probably not understand my questions.
>> 
>> For your points 1–9, I think they can all be implemented in user
>> space. Yes, translators can bring these benefits. But my question is:
>> Why does it need to be implemented as a translator rather than as a
>> program?
>> 
>> If you want to modularize the LLM, I think you can think about how to
>> handle the APIs between the programs.
>> 
>> For your point 10, I think the efficiency of LLMs today mainly comes
>> from using GPUs, with only some edge cases using CPUs. If you use a
>> CPU,
>> only relatively small models, such as 9B models or some small
>> MLP/CNN/PINN, can run reasonably well.
>> 
>> For your points 11 and 12, I think they are the same as my points
>> above:
>> these things can also be implemented by ordinary user-space programs.
>> 
>> Yes, translators can provide these properties, but why translators
>> specifically?
> 

Reply via email to