The reason date -h etc. doesn't work is because, as described, your
Busybox was built with support for such disabled.  You will need to talk
to whoever maintains your Busybox package/install, or if that's you,
then you need to consider tweaking the config further for such.

I have no problem with date on Busybox 1.25.0 with regards to most of
your script's date syntaxes, as well as others shown in the syntax
usage.

First, your TODAY:

root@gw:/tmp/home/root# date +"%Y-%m-%d"
2016-09-22

Now your tmpDays, but I'll use a different date than the above, to show
it's working:

root@gw:/tmp/home/root# date --date="2002-12-20"
Fri Dec 20 00:00:00 PST 2002
root@gw:/tmp/home/root# date --date="2002-12-20" +%s
1040371200

Verifying that UNIX timestamp correlates with the correct date:

root@gw:/tmp/home/root# perl -e 'print scalar localtime(1040371200), "\n";'
Fri Dec 20 00:00:00 2002

In tmpDays, you use something called $birthdate, which uses variables
that aren't defined (in the code you showed), so I can't tell if they're
2-digit years, 4-digit years, variable-width month values, or what, thus
I cannot test that.

The only two compile-time date tweaking options I see are
CONFIG_FEATURE_DATE_ISOFMT and CONFIG_FEATURE_DATE_COMPAT, but I don't
believe these are relevant:

 33 //config:config FEATURE_DATE_ISOFMT
 34 //config:   bool "Enable ISO date format output (-I)"
 35 //config:   default y
 36 //config:   depends on DATE
 37 //config:   help
 38 //config:     Enable option (-I) to output an ISO-8601 compliant
 39 //config:     date/time string.
 40 //config:

 50 //config:config FEATURE_DATE_COMPAT
 51 //config:   bool "Support weird 'date MMDDhhmm[[YY]YY][.ss]' format"
 52 //config:   default y
 53 //config:   depends on DATE
 54 //config:   help
 55 //config:     System time can be set by 'date -s DATE' and simply 'date
DATE',
 56 //config:     but formats of DATE string are different. 'date DATE' accepts
 57 //config:     a rather weird MMDDhhmm[[YY]YY][.ss] format with completely
 58 //config:     unnatural placement of year between minutes and seconds.
 59 //config:     date -s (and other commands like touch -d) use more sensible
 60 //config:     formats (for one, ISO format YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss.ssssss).
 61 //config:
 62 //config:     With this option off, 'date DATE' is 'date -s DATE' support
 63 //config:     the same format. With it on, 'date DATE' additionally supports
 64 //config:     MMDDhhmm[[YY]YY][.ss] format.

That leaves reviewing changes between Busybox 1.24.2 and 1.25.0, so
let's look at that, specifically looking for tags of 1_24_2 and 1_25_0:

1_25_stable: https://git.busybox.net/busybox/log/?h=1_25_stable
1_24_stable: https://git.busybox.net/busybox/log/?h=1_24_stable

I see nothing in the 1_24_stable commit history, after 1_24_2, that
indicates fixes/tweaks for date, so I don't have an immediate
explanation.

That said: is there a reason you're omitting depiction of the actual
problem?  You've given descriptions, but aren't pasting full terminal
output.  It would help because then one could reverse-engineer some of
the messages shown back to code and see if the cause could be
determined.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   j...@koitsu.org |