I want to update everyone on the outcome of the stuck mic problem on the
repeater yesterday.
First, I want to thank everyone that helped out on trying to locate the stuck
mic. Several people, both club members and non-members took time on trying to
find the offender. The information that I sent out helped in some ways in
locating the transmitter. However it was discovered even with the "best"
information, the tried and true method on signal strength searching worked very
well (one comment from one of the searchers is that the incident was a good
test/training on finding problems like this).
Second, I want to remind everyone they need to set their time-out timers on
their radios. The radio feature can prevent 99% of the stuck mic problems,
especially one like yesterday that lasted over 5 1/2 hours. Also by setting
their timer to 3 minutes this will coincide with the repeater 3 minute timer
making sure no one runs over the limit.
The offenders radio equipment was checked and it is unknown why it just
starting transmitting. It was determined that the timer was not set but it was
also found that the removable control heard was loose and was causing
intermittent connection issues.
So you could say that it was an equipment error and even if the timer was set,
it may have not made a different in this case (that's the 1%).
So that means I need to get a new radio for the house!
Thanks again for everyone's help! If anyone has any questions, please send me
an e-mail direct.
73
Mike Hardwick, N5VCXPresidentBrazos Valley Amateur Radio Club713-826-6917
    On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 05:57:34 PM CDT, Chris Medlin